Today I would like to share the iron and protein rich multigrain khichdi recipe which can be given to babies of 11 months and above.
Though khichdi is considered boring food by many, is a divine meal for me. I love trying varieties of khichdis. You can refer to the post on moongdal khichdi for babies.
Khichdi can be considered one of the nutritious foods for your baby after she or he has been introduced to vegetables and fruits. It’s a one-pot dish for mommies too as khichdi can be prepared anytime.
This multi grain khichdi or multi grain porridge is power packed with adequate iron and protein. Sometimes due to grains in this multigrain khichdi, baby may develop gas formation, indigestion etc. Thus babies may get fussy, but that doesn’t mean you can’t feed them khichdi.
How to modify multi grain khichdi for fussy babies?
Ajwain, hing, garlic, ginger, fennel are considered as natural gas relievers.
If your baby has gastric problems, he/she may get fussy and get difficult to feed. So, it’s better to include mentioned ingredients in the multi grain khichdi if you are preparing it for your babies.
There is no harm in including these ingredients on regular basis to your khichdi to make sure that babies don’t get gastric troubles. You can also refer to the 9 home remedies for gas troubles in babies and toddlers.
If the gastric problems still exist, you can give your baby medicine relieving from gastric issues after consulting with the pediatrician.
Multi grain khichdi – preparation method:
Wash and drain all grains and keep aside. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cinnamon, clove, bayleaf, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and til.
Once sautéed well add ginger garlic paste and chopped vegetables. Sautee this until the flavor is released to the oil and vegetables are a little bit cooked.
Add in the multigrain mix and stir till the grains turn golden brown. Add coriander powder and salt. Add water to this and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until the khichdi is cooked to its perfection.
Once pressure is released, serve khichdi with a teaspoon of ghee along with papad.
- Rice – 3 tablespoons
- Bajra - 2 teaspoons (optional)
- Split yellow gram - 2 teaspoons
- Broken wheat – 2 teaspoons
- Split green gram- 1 teaspoon
- Split chick pea grains- 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon- ¼ stick
- Cloves - 1
- Bay leaves- ½ to 1
- Turmeric powder- 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Til – ½ tea spoon (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tea spoon
- Chopped vegetables (carrot, tomatoes, beans, brinjal, peas, pumpkin, cauliflower) - 1 cup
- Salt- as per taste
- Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
- Oil- 1 spoon
- Water- 1½ to 2 glasses (quantity can be reduced if you want thick consistency)
- Take a vessel and add all the grains to it. Wash the grains twice and drain the excess water. Keep the multi grain mix aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add cinnamon, clove, bay leaf, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and til to it. Stir for few seconds till they are sautéed well. Then add to it ginger garlic paste and chopped vegetables. Mix for a few seconds till it releases the flavor to oil.
- Add chopped vegetables to it and mix everything. Let vegetables cook for two minutes.
- Add multi grain mix to it. Stir all the content thoroughly. Let the grains turn beautiful golden brown.
- Add coriander powder and salt to it. Mix the ingredients and add water to the mixture.
- Mix everything well and allow it to pressure cook for three whistles.
- After khichdi gets cooked, pour a tea spoon of ghee over it.
Do you love khichdis? Do you make multigrain khichdi in any other way adding any other spices/ grains? Which is your little one’s favorite khichdi?