So why not try a super healthy recipe out of these two ingredients for your kid. Wonder what! It’s none other than ragi almond cookies, all-time kid’s favorite.
Believe me or not, my hubby has never liked cookies whether its store bought or homemade cookies made by me. But what he said you know after eating these ragi cookies “Oh it tastes and smells so good, one more please”
I will explain you how to prepare cookies both using pressure cooker and microwave oven. Your home is going to smell great with the freshly baked cookies attracting most of your neighbors to your home 🙂
Dry roast ragi flour till the raw smell goes off. Add wheat and almond powder when the raw smell of ragi powder is about to go off. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Melt butter in a pan. Mix brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cashew nuts and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add the roasted flour to this and mix well.
Add the melted butter to the mixture and knead a dough using 2 tablespoon milk.
Cover and refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes before baking. Make small round balls out of this dough or make shapes using a cookie cutter.
Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degree Celsius. Grease the baking tray and lay out the balls or cookies with enough space in between. If you are laying balls, make sure you press a little on the centre using a fork or finger. Top it up with sesame, pistachios or any nuts of your choice.
Bake them at 180 degree Celsius for 15 minutes. Once done transfer to a cool rack.
- Ragi flour (finger millet floor) - ¼ cup
- Wheat flour -1/4 cup
- Almond powder - ¼ cup
- Dark brown sugar or powdered jaggery - ¼ cup
- Baking powder - ¼ tsp
- Butter melted - 75 gm
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Milk -2 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Finely chopped cashews -1 or 2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds or pistachio - for toppin
- In a non-stick pan on low flame, dry roast the ragi flour for 1-2 min to get rid of raw smell of ragi. A few seconds before switching off the flame, add wheat flour & almond flour, mix it all and switch off the flame
- Melt butter and keep it aside
- In a bowl take brown sugar, baking powder, salt, chopped cashews, vanilla extract and mix well
- Add roasted ragi almond wheat mixture to this and mix them together
- Add melted butter to the dry ingredients and knead dough lightly by adding 2 tbsp of milk
- Cover it and refrigerate the dough for 20 min before baking (I skipped this step J)
- Take out the dough from fridge, make small round balls out of the dough. Another way is roll the whole dough using chapathi rolling pin to half inch thickness and cut it out using cookie cutters
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree C for 10 min
- Grease and dust a baking tray with floor or line with butter paper and place small sized balls on it providing sufficient space between each balls
- Flatten slightly using a fork or your finger ( If using the second way with cookie cutters no need to flatten it )
- Now decorate on top with sesame seeds or broken pistachio and press lightly
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degree C for 15 min
- Once done cool them completely on a wire rack
- Serve your kid with a cup of warm milk
- Aluminium pressure cooker (preferably an old one)
- Salt (or sand) – 1.5 cup to 2 cup
- Wire stand
- Perforated plate
- Cake tin or aluminium tin
- Heat up a pressure cooker with salt (or sand), a wire stand and a perforated plate for 10 min with lid closed but without whistle and gasket on medium flame (preheat method)
- Place the prepared small balls on cake tin lined with butter paper or greased with oil
- Open the preheated cooker, place the cake tin in the cooker, close it but without whistle and gasket
- Bake for 15 min on low flame till it’s done
- After the desired time switch off the flame
- Allow them to cool
- Serve your kid with a cup of warm milk
- Cookies can be stored in air tight containers for 3-4 days
- Use good quality baking powder, check the expiry date while using
- You can bake cakes also the similar way in pressure cooker. Don’t use gasket and whistle while baking in pressure cooker.
- I have not tried pressure cooker method for cookies, so no pictures for that. This method I heard it from my aunt who used to prepare cakes and cookies in pressure cooker.
- I own “Daewoo convection microwave oven”. Follow your microwave oven type instructions for baking
Hope you liked this ragi almond cookies recipe. Do try out at home and let me know how it turned out.
Please help to spread a word about this article by sharing on your Facebook and Twitter. You can also pin the images in Pinterest.