The recipe that we are going to present today is a ramzan special caramel custard. It’s called as caramel pudding as well.
Nowadays, ready-made caramel pudding packets are available in the super markets. But as you know in Bumps and baby we prefer everything homemade and try to avoid processed foods as much as we can.
This recipe caramel custard is an easy dessert and could be made at home with the easily available ingredients like egg, milk and sugar.
My daughter is a picky eater; well, which toddler isn’t, right? One item I find difficult to make her to eat is egg. So I prepare desserts like caramel pudding or fruit salad with custard sauce and give to her. She is been told that its ice cream 😛
This can be given to toddlers above 1 year as it contain whole milk and eggs.
- How to introduce cow’s milk for babies?
- Why cheese and butter, but no cow’s milk for a baby until one year?
- 8 egg recipes for babies and toddlers
- Homemade mango ice-cream for toddlers
Caramel custard preparation method:
We need 3 eggs, sugar for caramel as well as for custard, milk and vanilla essence.
The first step in the process is making caramel. We need to take extra care and make sure that the caramel does not get burnt.
Take a nonstick pan and heat sugar till it’s caramelized to golden colour. You may add a few drops of water to avoid caramel getting burned. Pour this into a glass bowl. The caramel as soon as it is poured would stick to the bowl. Not to worry because once it’s taken out from the oven it would be set perfectly.
Boil the milk and let it cool.
In another vessel whisk eggs and sugar. Add the cooled milk to this and mix it again. Add vanilla essence. Strain and pour this into the glass bowl in which we have already poured the caramel.
It’s kept on a double boiler and then in the oven. Cook it at 190 degree Celsius for 40 to 45 minutes. Insert a knife to check whether it’s cooked fine and take it out. Let it cool.
Run a knife around the rim of the bowl and invert the bowl to a large plate.
- Eggs -3 whole eggs
- Milk - 500 ml
- Vanilla essence – 2 to 3 drops
- Sugar- 30 gms (for caramel) and 50 gms for custard
- Take a nonstick pan and add 30 gms of sugar. Keep the flame low and let it caramelize. Once its golden colour, switch off the flame. Pour the caramel into a glass bowl. Make sure the base of the bowl is evenly spread with caramel.
- Boil the milk and let it cool.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar till it’s fluffy. Add the boiled and then cooled milk. Stir it so that it’s mixed well. Strain this into the glass bowl.
- On a double boiler keep the glass bowl in oven at 190 degree Celsius for 40-45 minutes. Insert a knife and if it comes out clean, switch off the oven and take the pudding out. Let it cool.
- Run a knife along the rim of the bowl so that the pudding could be inverted to a plate.
- Refrigerate it and serve.
- This can be prepared using the steaming method as well instead of an oven, if you don’t have an oven at home
- Instead of pouring the whole custard and caramel to one large bowl, we could even use flans
- If you want to custard to be really sweet, please add more sugar to the egg
- In a few varieties of this caramel pudding, grated nutmeg or grated orange rinds are used to enhance the flavor
Do let us know whether your little one liked the caramel custard or caramel pudding recipe. You can also refer to the egg pudding recipe which is an easy dessert.
Do you make caramel custard? Do you make it in oven or pressure cooker? Is there any easy way you find to prepare caramel pudding at home? Do share with me in comments.
Also share this article on your social networking sites. Remember sharing is caring 🙂
Advance Ramzan wishes to everyone!