Mango juice, mango lassi, mango icecream … Are you bored of these mango recipes?
Now before the mango season is off, let’s do something different with mangoes. The recipe that I am sharing today is simple and brings out a different dimension to mangoes. The recipe is ripe mango chutney.
The ripe mango chutney brings on the mango-ness of mangoes to the fullest. It is a very healthy and unique mix which can be served as side dish or dip with rotis, bread, parathas, dosa, salads and rice.
The ripe mango chutney is a fab combination of coconut and mangoes with a few spices. The best part of this preparation is that it is not loaded with sugar. Also the texture and fragrance of mango is retained in the recipe. You can use any variety of mango for this recipe. I have used baganapalli variety.
Health benefits of ripe mango chutney:
The ripe mangoes are high on Vitamins C, A, magnesium, copper and probiotic fiber. It alkalizes the body and helps in preventing heat strokes.
Mangoes strengthens the immune system and also had adequate amount of iron content.
Coconut is high on manganese and iron. It is a good source of dietary fibre. Copper in desiccated coconut helps in maintaining a good brain health.
Jaggery is rich in iron and lemon juice provides the adequate Vitamin C.
Ripe mango chutney recipe requires us to make a mix of coconut, pudina or mint, green chilies, cumin powder, jaggery and salt. Once the mix is ready, we need to add the small chunks of ripe mango and bring everything together with a dash of lemon.
This chutney can be served to toddlers of 1 year and above.
- Ripe mango - ½ cup
- Desiccated coconut - ⅓ cup
- Powdered jaggery or gud – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mint or pudina leaves – 6 to 8
- Green chili - 1 (optional)
- Rock salt - to taste (I have added 1 teaspoon)
- Peel the mango and dice or chop the mango finely.
- In a blender, place coconut, cumin powder, jaggery, pudina leaves, green chilli and salt. Pulse until finely ground. Do this in spurts with a gap of a few seconds.
- Combine the mangoes and the coconut spice mix. Add the lemon juice and mix well again.
- Yummy chutney is ready to be served.
One can omit the green chili. If you or your little one loves black pepper, you can add it instead of green chili.
You can also try the same chutney with fresh coconut.
Hope you all liked this ripe mango chutney recipe with the king of fruits mangoes. Do let us know your feedback in the comments section.