Here is the whole moong dosa recipe which is very easy, delicious and nutritious.
Green moong, whole green gram, green gram or cherupayar is one of the best vegetarian super foods that has been applauded for its amazing health benefits.
Whole Moong dosa or pesarattu is vegan as well as gluten free. I market this dosa as ‘green dosa’ to my kids and they do like this dosa variety a lot.
Health benefits of green moong dosa:
- Rich in Vitamins A, B, C and E
- Good source of iron and magnesium
- Powerful source of lean vegetarian protein
- Boosts Immunity
We will be also using a good amount of coriander leaves for this recipe which increases the nutrients and fiber content. It also gives the dosa a very nice shade of green.
This moong sprouts dosa can be served to toddlers and kids as breakfast / dinner item. One can also serve it to babies above 10 months.
Whole moong dosa recipe – preparation method:
Soak moong beans overnight or 4 to 6 hours. Grind drained moong, ginger and coriander leaves with water to a fine batter.
Add cumin powder, hing, salt and rice flour. Mix well.
Heat dosa tawa with ghee and pour a ladle of dosa batter. Once browned on one side, flip to cook the other side. Serve with coconut chutney, ground nut chutney or sauce of our choice.
You can also add green chillies or pepper powder as per your child’s preference.
- Dry green moong or soaked moong– ¾ to 1 cup
- Rice flour – ½ cup
- Ginger – 1.5 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – ⅓ cup
- Cumin Powder or multipurpose masala powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Asafoetida or hing – 1 pinch (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil, butter or ghee – 2 to 4 tablespoon
- Rinse moong beans and soak them overnight or hours. I soaked ¾ cup of moong beans and got a little more than a cup of soaked moong beans. Drain the excess water.
- For the batter : Grind the soaked mung with ginger, coriander leaves and approximately ½ cup of water.
- Transfer the mung paste to a bigger vessel and add in the cumin powder, rice flour, salt and hing. Add more water if required. We need to get the dosa batter consistency. Mix properly. The batter for green dosa is ready.
- Heat a non-stick or dosa pan with ghee or oil. Pour a pour spoonful of mixture into the pan and spread it in a circular motion so as to get a circular or oval shape.
- Thick dosas may take a little longer to cook than usual dosas so try to make thin moong dosas. You can also make thin crisp dosas out of this batter.
- Cook till one side is cooked. When it is slight golden brown, repeat on the other side. The heat should be on medium. Add oil as per your choice.
- To check if the one side is done it should turn over easily if it still sticks to the pan that means it is not cooked.
- Once both the sides are done, green moong dosa is ready to be served.
Whole green moong dosas go well with vegetable curry, chutney or sauce of your choice. I have served it with groundnut chutney and tomato sauce.
You can also refer to the 5 chutney recipes for toddlers and kids.
- You can also soak rice along with the green moong and grind them together in the morning
- Grated veggies like carrot can be added to increase the nutritional content
- Green chillies or black pepper can be added at the time of grinding the moong dal
Do try this simple yet flavorful whole moong dosa recipe and share your feedback in the comments section. You can also share the recipe with your near and dear ones.