Today I share a simple yet flavorful dates kheer recipe for toddlers. This dates kheer, khajoor kheer or dates payasam can be made in minutes and can be served hot /cold based on personal preference.
The holy month of Ramadan is here. Dates have lots of significance during this holy month as they are known as the food that Prophet Muhammad ate when he broke his fast.
The recipe also can be given to kids as one of the mid-morning/evening snack or served to them as flavored milk instead regular cup of milk in the evening. You can also read the rice kheer or rice bhardi recipe.
Dates are available all over the world in different varieties. One can use any variety as available to them for this recipe.
Dates have immense health benefits especially during fasting
Advantages of dates during Ramadan fasting:
- Relieves constipation
- Fantastic source of carbohydrates
- Perfect energy boosting snack which also reduce the hunger feeling for the fasting person thereby controlling excessive or over food intake
Nutritious properties and advantages of dates:
- Good source of dietary potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc
- Improves the overall bone health, immunity and strength
- Helps to maintain a healthy heart and good digestive system
Dates kheer recipe – preparation method:
For this recipe, we need to cook the dates and wheat flour in a small amount of ghee. Add the milk and other ingredients and cook for a few more minutes. Simple na!!
Soak saffron in milk. Heat a heavy bottom kadai with ghee, sautee dates for 2 minutes.
Add pistachios, wheat flour and almonds. Sautee well. Add in the hot milk and mix continuously to avoid lumps till the milk boils. Put the heat on medium and let the dates payasam cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
The cardamom powder and saffron soaked in milk can be added now to the cooked dates payasam. Garnish with dry fruits, saffron etc.
- Dates or khajoor – 12 to 15
- Milk – 2 ½ cup
- Whole wheat flour or atta – 2 tablespoon
- Ghee or clarified butter – 1.5 tablespoon
- Sliced almonds – 5 to 6
- Sliced pistachio – 3 to 4
- Cardamom powder or elaichi powder – ½ teaspoon
- Saffron – 8 to 10 strands
- Clean and chop the dates.
- Soak the saffron in a few teaspoons of milk.
- In a heavy bottomed pan or kadai, add ghee and add the dates. Sauté the dates in ghee for around 2 minutes
- Add in the whole wheat flour, sliced almonds and pistachio. Sauté again for a minute.
- Add in the milk now. Do stir the mix continuously to avoid lumps. Allow the milk to boil.
- Cook the kheer for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron. Dates kheer or khajoor kheer is ready to be relished. Garnish with dry fruits or saffron and serve.
- Sugar can be added based on personal preference
- Dates kheer also tastes yum when served cold. Do try this option as well
- Fruits like mango, apple, chikoo and banana can be added to the kheer
Wish you all a happy and healthy Ramadan. Hope you all liked the dates kheer recipe.
Do you make dates kheer or dates payasam? Is the recipe similar to the one I have mentioned? Is there any other method to make dates payasam you know of? Share with me in comments please.
Do share your valuable feedback as part of the comments and share the article with your near and dear ones.